26 March 2017

Aviators on Stamps, and Other Ways of Flying

This is a post for Sunday Stamps-II. This week's theme is Flying. I chose three stamps featuring pioneer (for different reasons) aviators:



Amelia Earhart (1897 – 1937) was an American aviation pìoneer and author. She is known for many early aviation records, including first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. This stamp was issued in 1963 (but I received it last January).



Arthur William Tedder (1890 – 1967) was a pilot and squadron commander in the First and Second World Wars. The stamp was issued in the UK in 1986 (and also recently received).



Charles Alfred Anderson, Sr., (1907 – 1996) was an American aviator known as the The Father of Black Aviation. I like that it arrived on a postcard along with a bird...


For easier or, at least, more peaceful ways of flying, you can try a kite:




Or, if you are brave enough (which I am not), wingsuit flying:

10 comments:

  1. Wow, great post today. You thought about this theme in so many ways that hadn't even crossed my mind, like kite flying. I didn't even know that wing suits existed, never mind on a stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered that the wingsuits exist thanks to that stamp, too.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of Amelia Earhart, but not the other two, so thanks for that introduction.
    And kite flying - how wonderful! I would definitely pass on that wingsuit, but it's pretty cool that it was put on a stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning to fly kites, ans I must say that I really enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. There's more to flying than I thought about. Great selecyion for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can fly in different senses... Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Not sure if the windsuit is heading straight to the ground, splat, or soaring over hills, I'll pass although I like the stamp. I like to wTch kite flying, a nice variety on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wingsuit seems a bit dangerous to me.

      Delete
  5. Excellent stamps for the theme! Thanks for sharing these Eva. Love the ones with Amelia, kite, and wingsuit flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia and the kites are my favourites too :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.