14 December 2014

Dutch Painters on Stamps

This is a post for Sunday Stamps #200, and that means this is the last Sunday at Viridian's. I am thankful, and I hope that the Sunday Stamps series will be very successful at See it on a postcard (even if I do not participate every week!).

Today's theme is Art. Among the Dutch stamps I have received, some are dedicated to very famous works by Dutch painters. I am sure you know most of them!



Van Leyden


David playing the harp for Saul (gravure, c. 1508), by Lucas van Leyden (1494-1533). The stamp was issued on 14 April 2000. It belongs to a sheet of 10 commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.




Rembrandt


Man with a beard in oriental clothes by Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn (1606-1669). The stamps was issued in 2006; it belongs to a 12-stamps sheet named The 400th Anniversary of the Birth of Rembrandt.




Vermeer


Girl with a Pearl Earring (c. 1665) is probably the most known masterpiece by Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675). The stamp was issued on 1st July 2014.


I like this painting, but the theme of the three works below is more appealing for letter lovers: The letter writer and her maid (left), The love letter (center) and Woman in blue reading a letter (right). There were issued on 27 February 1996. 




Don't you love the stamps which have letters as a main theme?


Shoemaker Doyer


Jan van Speijk Debating whether to Set Fire to the Gunpowder (1834) is a work by Jacobus Schoemaker Doyer (1792-1867). The stamp belongs to the same sheet that the first one in this post.


Van Gogh

I have published Van Gogh stamps before, but I have recently received three more:



Café Terrace at Night and The Zouave by Vicent van Gogh (1853-1890) were painted in 1888 and issued as stamps on 2nd January 2003. They belong to a 10-stamps sheet celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the birth of Van Gogh..

The last one was issued on 14th July 2014. It shows the The Courtesan (1887) one of the Japonaiserie works by Van Gogh. The whole sheet is really a beautiful and one!

11 comments:

  1. Doyer and Van Leyden are new to me. You have a fine selection here. It would be hard to pick a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Girl with a Pearl Earring too! I have a couple of other Rembrandt stamps from the sheet but otherwise these are all new to me, and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Vermeer paintings - so few of them. And Van Gogh. that last stamp showing his work is a surprise to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was also a surprise to me when I discover it was a Van Gogh painting. I didn't know his Japanese art.

      Regarding the Vermeer paintings, I think every mail lover must love them!

      Delete
  4. I'm very impressed with the selection you posted, lovely stamps. Love the Van Gogh stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the art works take on a whole new look when cropped for the stamps design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is was I thought! I didn't know some of the artworks, so I look them for this post. I was amazed, really.

      Delete
  6. I like the different ways of portraying art on stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting, I love to see these paintings (especially the Vermeer's letter-related ones!). And thank you for looking so close - I also just found out by the 'Japan-Netherlands' stamps that Vincent van Gogh has painted this Japanese lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these stamps (or maybe all!) were sent by you... It was a surprise to discover the Japanese side of Van Gogh. Well, not that I know a lot about art, but still...

      So thanks to you for sending! Sometimes I take pictures of the stamps and keep them in the computer, and just look closer when arrives "Sunday Stamps"!

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.